- Makes: 24
- Prep Time: 15 Min
- Cook Time: 10 Min
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups blanched almond flour, such as Honeyville
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 14 ounces (about 40) caramel candies, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 pound sweetened coconut, toasted
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy, then add the vanilla. In another large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, cornstarch and 1 teaspoon salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix to combine. Form the dough into a ball, then divide into 2 disks. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the dough to a 1⁄8-inch thickness and cut out rounds with a 1 ½-inch cookie cutter, then cut out the centers with a ½-inch cutter. Place about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a 2-quart saucepan over low heat, melt the caramels with the milk, stirring frequently. When smooth, reserve ¼ cup of the caramel. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and stir in the toasted coconut. Remove from the heat.
- Line a cooled baking sheet with parchment paper. Using an offset spatula, spread the tops and sides of the cookies with the reserved caramel, then with the coconut-caramel and set on the prepared baking sheet. Let cookies stand for 45 minutes.
- Using a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt together the chocolate chips and shortening until smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Dip the bottom of each cookie in the chocolate coating and place back on the baking sheet. Then, using a spoon, drizzle the remaining coating in stripes on the cookie tops.
1 COOKIE: CALORIES 344; FAT 25.0 g (sat 13.6 g, mono 4.1 g, poly 0.5 g); PROTEIN 3.8 g; CARBS 35.0 g; FIBER 2.9 g; CHOLEST 21.1 mg; IRON 1.3 mg; SODIUM 230 mg; CALCIUM 36 mg
IN THE RECIPE VAULT
Grilled Corn-Thyme Bread Pudding
Fresh Cranberry Sauce
Kelly Rudnicki’s Easy Pie Crust