Chocolate Almond Butter Brownies
Recipe by Nicole Hunn
- Makes: 16
- Prep Time: 15 Min
- Cook Time: 45 Min
- 2 sticks (½ pound) unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if flour blend contains xanthan gum)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup smooth almond butter
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325°. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch square baking pan with butter. Line the pan with crisscrossed strips of parchment paper, greasing in between and on top of the strips.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 ½ sticks butter and 6 ounces chocolate. Microwave at half-power for 45 seconds, then remove and stir. Repeat until the mixture is melted and smooth. Add the granulated sugar, ½ teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons vanilla; mix to combine well. Let cool slightly.
- In a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the almond butter, the remaining 4 tablespoons butter and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and add the remaining 5 teaspoon vanilla and the confectioners’ sugar, stirring until smooth and spreadable.
- In the large bowl of batter, add the eggs and mix well. Stir about half of the almond butter filling into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then shake gently to distribute evenly. Top with the remaining filling and shake again.
- Bake until the sides are firm, about 35 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan.
- Place the remaining 4 ounces chocolate in a large measuring cup. In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the heavy cream, stirring occasionally until simmering. Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate, stirring until the chocolate is smooth. Let cool slightly, until thickened. Pour evenly over the top of the brownies.
- Refrigerate until firm. Remove the brownies from the pan and slice into 16 squares.
1 BROWNIE: CALORIES 389; FAT 26.1 g (sat 12.0 g, mono 10.3 g, poly 2.2 g); PROTEIN 4.4 g; CARBS 39.4 g; FIBER 2.3 g; CHOLEST 63.0 mg; IRON 1.4 mg; SODIUM 125 mg; CALCIUM 51 mg
IN THE RECIPE VAULT
By the Way Bakery Coconut Cloud Cake
Banana Oatmeal Muffins with Streusel Topping
Sesame Honey Chicken
Art of the Pie Crust
Chard 'n' Polenta Pie with Raisins and Pine Nuts