Black Bean Pupusas
Recipe by Nicole Hunn
- Makes: 6
- Prep Time: 15 Min, Plus Resting
- Cook Time: 40 Min
- 2 cups gluten-free masa harina
- ¾ cup water, at room temperature
- ¾ cup chicken or vegetable broth, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (optional), plus more for seasoning
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the masa harina, water, broth and cumin, if using, until a thick dough forms. Cover the bowl and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Place the beans in a medium bowl. Season generously with cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Check the dough. If it appears too dry, add a tablespoon of water and, using wet hands, work the water into the dough. Divide the dough evenly into 6 parts. Using wet hands, roll the first piece into a ball. Pat the ball between wet palms until it flattens, pressing any split edges back together.
- Cradling the dough disk in the palm of your hand, gently press the center to create a well, then add a couple tablespoons of cheese and about one-sixth of the bean mixture. The dough will be nearly covered with filling. Using the hand cradling the pupusa, fold the edges of the dough toward the center, rotating the ball in your hand as you work. Stretch the dough gently to cover the filling. Once the filling is sealed, pat the dough flat again between moistened palms. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining dough, cheese and beans.
- In a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, cook a pupusa until firm, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining pupusas. Serve warm.
1 PUPUSA: CALORIES 369; FAT 13.2 g (sat 7.4 g, mono 3.5 g, poly 0.6 g); PROTEIN 19.6 g; CARBS 45.3 g; FIBER 8.9 g; CHOLEST 34.1 mg; IRON 4.3 mg; SODIUM 351 mg; CALCIUM 357 mg
IN THE RECIPE VAULT
Elisabeth Hasselbeck’s Pizza
Crispy Fish Nuggets with Caper-Lemon Tartar Sauce
Spinach, Prosciutto & Parmesan Crepes
Charles Dickens' Punch