Basic Gluten-Free Pasta
- Serves 4
- Prep time: 25 minutes (plus resting)
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- ⅓ cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup white rice flour
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- ⅓ cup tapioca starch or arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Using a standing mixer on low speed, combine the rice flours, tapioca starch, xanthan gum and salt. Gradually add the eggs and egg yolk and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and continue mixing until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, about 30 seconds. The dough should be soft but not sticky. If it is too dry, add another tablespoon of olive oil.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and pliable, about 5 minutes. Let rest in a covered bowl for 20 to 30 minutes.
- In a large pot over high heat, bring 5 quarts salted water to a boil.
- Divide the dough into golf-ball-size portions. Using a rolling pin, roll to a thickness of ½ inch. Run the dough portions through a pasta roller at setting 1. Repeat on settings 2 through 4. Lay the rolled dough on a lightly floured work surface.
- Using a sharp knife or pasta cutters, cut the dough into desired shapes. Add the pasta to the boiling water, using a fork to keep pieces from sticking together. Cook until al dente, 4 to 5 minutes.
1 SERVING: CALORIES 239; FAT 9.6 g (sat 2.0 g, mono 5.5 g, poly 1.7 g); PROTEIN 6.0 g; CARBS 33.3 g; FIBER 1.8 g; CHOLEST 143.7 mg; IRON 1 mg; SODIUM 192 mg; CALCIUM 18 mg
IN THE RECIPE VAULT
Garden Greens with Triple Cherry Vinaigrette
My Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup
Healthier Honey Mustard Dressing
Elisabeth Hasselbeck’s Pizza