Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
Recipe by Nicole Hunn
- Makes: 6
- Prep Time: 15 Min, Plus Chilling
- Cook Time15 Min
- 2¼ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if flour blend contains xanthan gum)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, chilled and coarsely chopped
- 1 extra-large egg, chilled
- 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour blend, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined. In a small bowl, toss the cheese with 1 tablespoon of the dry ingredients to keep the cheese from clumping together. Set the cheese mixture aside.
- To the large bowl of dry ingredients, add the butter and bacon grease and, using a handheld pastry blender, cut the fats into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles small peas. Add the cheese mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the egg and buttermilk, using a fork to break up any lumps. Stir with a spoon until a dough forms. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, flatten the wrapped, chilled dough into a 1 inch-thick round.
- Remove the plastic wrap and cut out rounds of dough with a floured 2 ½-inch biscuit cutter. Gather up the scraps, chill and re-roll. Arrange the biscuits on the baking sheet about an inch apart. Freeze the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Bake the biscuits until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
1 BISCUIT: CALORIES 300; FAT 18.7 g (sat 9.8 g, mono 5.6 g, poly 1.0 g); PROTEIN 8.9 g; CARBS 27.0 g; FIBER 3.5 g; CHOLEST 68.0 mg; IRON 1.6 mg; SODIUM 657 mg; CALCIUM 231 mg
IN THE RECIPE VAULT
One-Pot Chicken Parm Rice
Chocolate Chip Cookies
French Apple Cake