Seared Chicken and Apple Stew
- Serves 4
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour
- 1 ½ pounds boneless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound sweet, crisp apples, such as Gala, peeled and sliced into 1-inch wedges
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon saffron dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot, but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 7 minutes on each side. Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Add the onions to the hot oil and cook until golden. Stir in the apples and cook for a few minutes more. Stir in the turmeric, cinnamon, lemon juice, lemon zest, saffron and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium- low and add the chicken. Cook, partially covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer until the liquid has thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken and cut them in half. to serve, put a few pieces of chicken on each plate along with some apples and sauce.
1 BOWL: CALORIES 385; FAT 18.3 g (sat 1.3 g, mono 10.3 g, poly 5.2 g); PROTEIN 35.0 g; CARBS 22.0 g; FIBER 4.7 g; CHOLEST 82.5 mg; IRON 0.3 mg; SODIUM 346 mg; CALCIUM 15 mg
IN THE RECIPE VAULT
Brown Sugar Cookies
Thanksgiving Leftovers Casserole
Brown Sandwich Bread
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies