Sausage and Dried Cranberry-Walnut Stuffing
You can make the stuffing a day ahead, transfer to a baking dish and refrigerate, covered. Remove from the refrigerator and let it warm to room temperature before baking.
- Serves 8
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 loaf sliced gluten-free sliced bread, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup coarsely chopped, toasted walnuts
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup cranberry-raspberry juice
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until meat is brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a large bowl; stir in the bread pieces until combined.
- Add the butter, onion and celery to pan with the sausage drippings. Season with ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add to the sausage mixture. Stir in the cranberries, walnuts and thyme; toss well. Add the broth and juice and toss again. Transfer to a baking dish and bake until heated through and crusty on top, about 45 minutes.
1 Serving: CALORIES 448; FAT 26.9 g (sat 4.7 g, mono 6.1 g, poly 4.9 g); PROTEIN 12.6 g; CARBS 44.2 g; FIBER 9.5 g; CHOLEST 22.1 mg; IRON 0.9 mg; SODIUM 872 mg; CALCIUM 23 mg
IN THE RECIPE VAULT
Caramel Apple Pie Cupcakes
Vanilla Doughnut Cookies
Chicken-Vegetable Braciola with Red Pepper Sauce