- Makes 12
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 1 cup dried or candied fruits, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brandy or almond flavored liqueur
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 pound Zoë and Jeff's Gluten-Free Bread Dough
- 1⁄2 cup (2 ounces) almond paste, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with butter. In a small bowl, combine the dried fruit, brandy and zest. Let stand at room temperature until ready to use.
- Sprinkle 1⁄4 cup sugar over a clean work surface, place the dough on top and cover with a piece of plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 1⁄4 inch thick rectangle. Peel off the plastic wrap.
- Spread the dried fruit mixture over the dough, then repeat with the almond paste. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar. Starting at the short end, roll up the dough to form a log. Using kitchen shears or a sharp, serrated knife, slice the dough into 12 equal pieces and place them in the prepared muffin cups. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar with the almonds, cinnamon and melted butter. Sprinkle the almond mixture evenly over the muffins and bake until the tops are lightly golden and the dough feels set when touched, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing them from the pan.
1 Muffin: CALORIES 246; FAT 12.2 g (sat 4.9 g, mono 5.2 g, poly 1.4 g); PROTEIN 3.3 g; CARBS 30.0 g; FIBER 1.6 g; CHOLEST 34.8 mg; IRON 0.6 mg; SODIUM 270 mg; CALCIUM 54 mg
IN THE RECIPE VAULT
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Meltaways
Thanksgiving Leftovers Casserole
Cracker-Crusted Sloppy Joe Pie
Jeanne’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix