- Makes 16
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 18 minutes
- 1 packet (.25 ounces) active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup milk or nondairy milk, warmed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca flour
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Gluten-free nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup (1 stick) plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or buttery sticks, softened
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or pecans (optional)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half or nondairy coffee creamer
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast and warm milk; set aside until frothy, 5 minutes. In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine 1⁄4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla with the oil and egg. Pour in the yeast mixture. Mix on low speed for 10 seconds. Add the rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder and salt; mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Spray the inside of a large bowl with cooking spray. Using a rubber spatula, transfer the dough to the prepared bowl, cover and set aside in a warm place until dough has expanded in size, 1 to 3 hours.
- 2 While the dough is rising, in a medium bowl and using a fork, combine the remaining 3⁄4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons softened butter and the cinnamon.
- 3 Preheat the oven to 375°. Coat a 9-inch square pan with cooking spray. On a silicone mat or sheet of wax paper, press the dough into a 15-by 9-inch rectangle. Scatter the cinnamon mixture over the dough. Top with raisins or pecans, if using. Starting with a long side, roll the dough into a log. Spray a serrated knife with cooking spray and cut the log into 16 equal pieces. If the knife begins to stick to the dough, spray again. Transfer the rolls to the pan and bake until golden, about 18 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- 4 Using an electric handheld mixer, beat together the confectioners’ sugar, remaining 1⁄2 cup butter, half-and-half and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Continue beating until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the warm cinnamon rolls.
1 Roll: CALORIES 191; FAT 7.2 g (sat 1.1 g, mono 3.5 g, poly 2.1 g); PROTEIN 1.2 g; CARBS 30.7 g; FIBER 0.8 g; CHOLEST 11.6 mg; IRON 0.6 mg; SODIUM 202 mg; CALCIUM 58 mg
IN THE RECIPE VAULT
Seared Chicken and Apple Stew
Sausage and Dried Cranberry-Walnut Stuffing
Pumpkin Cake with Whipped Cream and Pecan Praline
Thanksgiving Leftovers Casserole