Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting
Recipe by Karina Alrich of Gluten-Free Goddess.
- Makes 12
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup sorghum flour or brown rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup milk or nondairy milk, plus more for frosting
- 2 eggs or equivalent egg replacement
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup shortening
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 drop natural red food dye, such as India Tree (optional)
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, tapioca starch, granulated sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and xanthan gum. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat in the milk, eggs, olive oil, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Continue mixing until smooth and sticky, about 3 minutes.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Gently smooth the muffin tops with moistened fingertips. Bake until firm and dome shaped, 18 to 22 minutes. Cool the pan on a wire rack briefly, then gently pop out the cupcakes and continue cooling on a rack.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, combine the shortening, confectioners’ sugar and the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually beat in milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the frosting into a resealable plastic bag and seal. Cut a small hole in one corner of the bag and squeeze frosting over each cooled cupcake in a circular motion.
1 CUPCAKE: CALORIES 305; FAT 8.5 g (sat 1.8 g, mono 3.6 g, poly 2.4 g); PROTEIN 2.5 g; CARBS 55.1 g; FIBER 1.2 g; CHOLEST 17.0 mg; IRON 0.1 mg; SODIUM 257 mg; CALCIUM 48 mg
IN THE RECIPE VAULT
Whipped Coconut Cream
Rice with Rose Petals
Stone Fruit Parfait with Honey Walnut Crumble
Chocolate Chip Cookies