Makeover Gluten-Free Mac & Cheese
- Serves 6
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces gluten-free pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch flour
- 2 cups 1-percent milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 1½-quart baking dish. Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil and pasta. Cook, stirring frequently, until the pasta is tender but not overcooked. Drain and set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until it stops foaming, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in the milk, pouring slowly in a steady stream. Continue whisking until smooth and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses until melted. Season with salt and pepper and add the dijon. Stir in the pasta to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake until the cheese has started to brown and is bubbly around the edges, 30 to 35 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
1 SERVING: CALORIES 413; FAT 19.8 g (sat 10.9 g, mono 6.2 g, poly 0.7 g); PROTEIN 19.9 g; CARBS 37.0 g; FIBER 1.4 g; CHOLEST 52.3 mg; IRON 0.7 mg; SODIUM 423 mg; CALCIUM 430 mg
IN THE RECIPE VAULT
Jeanne’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Grilled Salmon with Cherry Tomato Salsa