Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce
- Makes: One 9-inch cake
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 1 hr 30 min
- 14 ounces high-quality chocolate
- 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 eggs or equivalent egg replacement
- ½ cup superfine sugar
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream or nondairy creamer
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split and beans scraped into a bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper cut to fit the bottom of the pan. Set the prepared pan inside a 12-inch pan. In a double boiler, heat chocolate and 7 tablespoons butter until fully melted. Stir until smooth. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, the superfine sugar, dark brown sugar, ¼ cup light brown sugar and the vanilla until fully incorporated. Add the cooled chocolate mixture to the egg mixture; whisk until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared 9-inch pan. Carefully fill the larger pan with water until it reaches about halfway up the side of the smaller pan. Tightly cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake until top of cake is no longer sticky to the touch, about 90 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then invert the cake onto a plate to cool completely.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the remaining ½ cup light brown sugar, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, the syrup, ½ cup cream and the salt and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil uncovered until the sauce is very thick and deep golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the remaining ½ cup cream and return to a boil, stirring constantly until the mixture is perfectly smooth. Stir in the vanilla beans. Pour sauce into a heatproof glass jar; refrigerate until just cool (about 2 hours) and spread a thick layer over the cake. Refrigerate the cake until fully cool, about another hour.
1 SLICE: CALORIES 465; FAT 28.4 g (sat 16.6 g, mono 8.9 g, poly 1.4 g); PROTEIN 5.0 g; CARBS 60.7 g; FIBER 2.0 g; CHOLEST 143.0 mg; IRON 1.7 mg; SODIUM 256 mg; CALCIUM 55 mg
IN THE RECIPE VAULT
Vanilla-Glazed Chocolate Chip Doughnuts
Rice with Rose Petals
Citrus-Glazed Cranberry-Pistachio Bread
My Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup